NAMI Family Support Group
February 27 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Click here to register for NAMI Family Support Group. RSVP is not required to attend.
ACA, in its mission to connect the community to resources, will be inviting NAMI to offer support group sessions to the Asian community. The NAMI Family Support Group is for family members, caregivers and loved ones of individuals with mental health challenges will be held at the ACA office premises at 7566 Central Park Blvd, Mason 45040. This will be facilitated by a NAMI trained facilitator and will follow the NAMI model. It is a peer-led support group, is a confidential and safe space to share your experiences, coping skills and learnings as caregivers, family members, friends and loved ones of individuals with mental health challenges such as anxiety, depression, behavioral disorders, mood, sleep, personality disorders to name a few. This is offered at no cost to participants.
By sharing your experiences in a safe and confidential setting, you gain hope and develop supportive relationships. This group allows your voice to be heard, and provides an opportunity for your personal needs to be met. It encourages empathy, productive discussion and a sense of community. You’ll benefit through other’s experiences, discover your inner strength and learn now to identify local resources and how to use them. You many choose to share or just listen if you are not comfortable sharing.
NAMI Family Support Group will help you:
· See the individual first, not the illness
· Recognize that mental illnesses are medical illnesses that may have environmental triggers · Understand that mental illnesses are traumatic events
· Aim for better coping skills
· Find strength in sharing experiences
· Reject stigma and not tolerate discrimination
· Not judge anyone’s pain
· Forgive ourselves and reject guilt
· Embrace humor as healthy
· Accept that we cannot solve every problem
· Work for a better future in a realistic way
· Gain insight from the challenges and successes of others facing similar circumstances.